Delegates at the Sixth Quadrennial Conference Session of the East Jamaica Conference have elected several newcomers to serve as conference directors for the next quadrennium, 2022-2026.
The decisions wrapped up the second and final day of the session being held June 19-20 at the Kencot SDA Church.
Pastor Melvin Francis was elected to serve as Executive Secretary and Elder Michael Porteous was re-elected to serve as Treasurer, both along with newly elected President Dr. Meric Walker completed the administrators of the Conference for the next quadrennium.
Pastor Carl Cunningham was elected to the new position of Vice President and was also given the responsibility for the Stewardship & Planned Giving and Wills & Trust departments.
Joining the ranks is Pastor Adrian Johnson to serve as Family Ministries Director, Pastor Alanzo Whyte to serve as Ministerial Secretary, Pastor Anthony Baugh to serve as Sabbath School & Personal Ministries Director, Pastor Omar Oliphant to serve as Public Affairs and Religious Liberty Director and Pastor Joel Jumpp who will serve as the Conference’s Youth Director.
The nominating committee, with the support of the new President, Dr Meric Walker recommended that directors leading one department would also be asked to serve as local district pastors, except the Youth Director who would only be asked to manage the portfolio assigned.
After the reading of the report of the nominating committee and the vote by the delegates, Pastor Everett Brown, President of the Jamaica Union, commended the committee pointing out that the administration had a blend of “ new, energetic workers along with some tried and proven workers”.
The complete list of directors who have been elected to serve the East Jamaica Conference are:
- President, Dr. Meric Walker
- Executive Secretary, Pastor Melvin Francis
- Treasurer, Elder Michael Porteous
- Vice President, Stewardship & Planned Giving & Wills & Trust Director, Pastor Carl Cunningham
- Children & Adolescents & Women’s Ministries Director, Elder Claudette Genas
- Communication Director, Elder Phillip Castell
- Family Ministries Director, Pastor Adrian Johnson
- Health Director, Dr. Leonard Steele
- Ministerial Secretary, Pastor Alanzo Whyte
- Public Affairs & Religious Liberty Director, Pastor Omar Oliphant
- Sabbath School & Personal Ministries Director, Pastor Anthony Baugh
- Youth Ministries Director, Pastor Joel Jumpp
The persons elected to serve in the positions of Education Director and Publishing Ministries Director will be approved by the Executive Committee of the Jamaica Union before being announced to the constituency at a later date.